Friday, 24 January 2014

Past the holiday period ..

So I've completed my first week of teaching teenage boys piano at one of the best high school's in Kenya. Let's just say this is certainly an experience of a life time ...


I've been in Nairobi for over 2 weeks now. The longest I've ever been on my own in a different country. I'm slowly adjusting to the fact that this is now home and I don't get to have the luxury of jumping in my lovely car (which is hopefully being looked after at home!) and drive to see friends and family or even to go to the beach, shops or cinema. I now have to deal with dirty public transport, a very overcrowded city and Skype to keep in contact with my many friends and family I miss SO much at home.


Midweek I found it quite difficult and was just feeling lonely but my neighbours are SO nice, friendly and generous! I've been given meals, books and lots of interesting conversations. I was lifted back up by speaking to friends and family, so I'm so glad that you're always there when I need you guys :)


I believe that I have gotten rid of my cockroach infestation!!! :D waaahhoooo! AND my geckos are definitely multiplying, but that also means I've discovered lots of poo on my walls haha. This weekend my house needs a good clean anyway. Before I leave it and move into my actual home for the year. I'll keep you guys updated about the move. I'm looking forward to actually settling in now.


I love Nairobi Symphony Orchestra. There are some great people performing lovely music. However, last week I was the only viola player. At least it kept me on my toes.


Today I entered 8 boys from form 3 and 4 (aged 16-18) into Grade 5 ABRSM exams for piano, trumpet, clarinet and sax. This is going to be such a challenge as the exam is in May and they haven't started the pieces yet!! But I am really looking forward to it. They work hard when they need to.


I have assembly now so I must dash, compulsory to attend, but there's more to share ...


Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment