Friday, 31 January 2014

End of January ..

I have taught piano at Starehe for 2 weeks now and I'm starting to feel settled in the School environment.
The Form 1's, babies of the school, 14/15 year olds (Year 10's to us) arrived from Monday-Wednesday. We as the music department held auditions from Tuesday-Thursday to almost 100 boys and chose 20 of those to take music. Among them were some incredible singers that made us turn our heads. It's going to be an exciting year!! One comment which I found hilarious was from one of the boys after a question posed by the HoD... "Do you still wish to take music, Yes or No?" The Boy replies, "Yes or No"!! We were all wetting ourselves laughing!! I guess it was one of those had to be there moments but it was SO funny!! 

Last weekend I ventured around town with my viola, bought complete Homeland Season (wahoo!!), and joined Conservatoire Orchestra which was great for many reasons. First rehearsal and I'm leading the viola sectional as the apparent viola extrodinare. I know a few people who would find this hilarious .. Playing Beethoven's Egmont and leading the section was great. Conserve is good because the age range is like 18-30 so musicians your own age are always easy to get along with. Sunday I went to the Church in the School, which started off being led by the boys singing, clapping and dancing which was a nice start to a 9am Sunday service. Not sure I'll go regularly though as after this week I need the weekends to recover!! I went to Karen to meet Steph at the beautiful Karen Country Lodge for lunch and the afternoon. Karen is further along Ngong road and is such a picturesque area. Anyone coming to visit me I'm taking you there! Steph's Boyfriend Al plays in the band there every Sunday, great music accompanied by exquisite food and wine (treated by Steph). Perfect way to spend a Sunday :)

I'm annoyed at myself for not bringing certain pieces of music and books that I need here that I know will be sitting idle at home. I'm in constant emails with friends and friends of friends sending pdfs as finding music in Nairobi is like finding water in a desert unless you know someone!! 

This week I wrote my first letter to my ActionAid sponsored child and her community living about 100km south of Nairobi. She's 7 years old and one of 5 children in her family. I'm so excited to receive my first letter from her in the next few months and hoping I can visit her too! I also had confirmation today that the money all you lovely people donated to my No Shoes November campaign and my Mt. Kenya page, all for KOP (The Kenyan Orphan Project) is being donated to Kochogo Integrated Child Development (Feeding) Centre. I visited Kochogo, a rural area an hour outside Kisumu (the third largest city in Kenya), in August 2013 with KOP and I left my heart there. I can't wait to return there in August and see the wonderful children and staff. So around £2,500 will be given to Kochogo.

This coming week I am being visited by a fellow IVHQ volunteer Nash as we share the same birthday on Wednesday so I'm really looking forward to his arrival and finding out how 6 months, including Christmas, went for him in Uganda. I have also spent lots of time with Ellen, the volunteer at Starehe Girls and good friend from IVHQ Kenya 2012. We're slowly getting used to public transport, shopping and general awareness here in Nairobi. 

Here's to another great week!!

Hope you're all well, oh and that Wales win the rugby tomorrow! 


Peace.

1 comment:

  1. This is great. Thanks for posting and keeping us updated. Hope you continue to have fun.

    ReplyDelete